Saturday 4 January 2014

Gifts from my kitchen


There is nothing more satisfying than gifting food. For me it is one of those life's simple pleasures, that comes with an abundance of love and gratitude, given to special people that make a difference in our lives.

This year, my 3rd was no exception and I decided to carry on my little tradition that I started two Christmases ago when we arrived back in New Zealand.  Although this year was frantic and a wee  bit stressful, as we had just moved house 2 weeks before Christmas!

I have neglected my blog, although I have been taking photos of the food I have been cooking and the baking that has been done, sitting down and putting it all  together  on my blog has just been an impossibility.  Today has been the first time in over a month, that I have decided to finish all the drafts  of my posts and publish them!

So apologies for my lateness, but I hope you will enjoy my posts.  I  did not manage the last post for 2013 and wishing all my readers a merry Christmas, but I will post these  rather late Christmas blogs in the hope that it gives you ideas for the next festive event or foodie gift that you decide to make. 

I made my gifts this year of the Christmas fudge, coconut ice and mini mince pies, I found some gold star platters and tied them all up in cellophane and shimmery ribbon, perfect Christmas gift.

The  Christmas fudge has a dedicated post , the coconut ice is a yummy very sweet treat that is a must over Christmas.

Lots of versions around, this one was  the best.

Coconut Ice

White Layer
1/2 can of condensed milk
250g icing sugar
160g desiccated coconut

Pink Layer

1/2 can condensed milk
250g icing sugar
190g desiccated coconut
5 tsp raspberry essence

1.  Grease a 20 x 30 cm slice tin or any shallow  square or rectangle tin

2. Mix the ingredients of the white layer  until it is  combined well, then press down into the tin

3. Mix the ingredients of the pink layer and presss firmly down on to the white layer

4. Chill before cutting into desired sizes.




Mini Mince Pies

I used ready made sweet shortcrust pastry slab, and  24 hole mini muffin tin.

1 pkt 500g unrolled sweet pastry

1 jar mincemeat  (I used the Tasti one)

1/2 pkt  of white ready to roll marzipan or royal icing

icing sugar for dusting

1. Cut the pastry in two halves, using one of the halves cut into 24 even squares and then roll into balls.

2. Place each ball into the muffin tin and press down until you have 24 pastry shells.

3. Place the mincemeat into each shell, bake in a pre heated oven at 200c for 15-18 min.

4. Leave to cool, in the meantime roll out the icing and cut into stars, and then place the stars  onto the pies and dust with icing sugar!











 

 
 
 
Best wishes for  2014
 
 
Enjoy
 
Ashia








No comments:

Post a Comment